- Bleaching powder is a pale yellowish powder existing with a strong smell of chlorine.
- It is soluble in water but due to the presence of impurities, we never observe a clear solution.
- Its chemical formula is Ca(OCl2) with its chemical name Calcium hypochlorite.
Uses of Bleaching Powder
- It is used for bleaching dirty clothes in the laundry and as a bleaching agent for cotton and linen in the textile industry.
- It is a strong oxidizing agent, hence used as an oxidizer in many industries.
- It is used as a disinfectant which is used for disinfecting water to make potable water.